11/12/14

Breast feeding past 1 year.

I have been breastfeeding Irving, my youngest, since birth. It took a few months to get it all worked out and for me to feel like it was 'natural', but I am still feeding him now, 15 months down the line, and am loving it (for the most part).

Ada did not get on with breastfeeding and so I gave up after about 2 1/2 weeks (after a lot of pain, tears and stress). So continuing to feed Irving is something I am actually really cherishing and am happy to do until he chooses he does not need it any more.

Our routine is pretty simple now. I will feed Irving at about 5.30pm after picking him up from nursery, then he'll have a play and maybe a bit of what we're eating for tea (he has tea at nursery at around 4pm). At around 7pm he then feeds again before bed, sometimes he'll fall asleep on me and we'll put him to bed, sometimes he'll go to bed awake and be fine, sometimes he'll go to bed and cry a little then fall to sleep, sometimes he'll go to bed, cry a lot and get brought back down stairs with me to feed more until he falls asleep (sometimes he'll have more of a play as well).

So, going to bed is pretty hit and miss! If he does sleep at 7pm ish, he'll usually wake up again between 9pm-12am and then come into be with me to feed and sleep with us. If he goes to sleep on me at say 9pm, we'll put him into his cot when we go to bed and he'll wake at around 3am and come into bed with me, feed and sleep the rest of the night with us. He will feed on and off throughout the night, how much varies every night it seems. So no set routine at all really!

We're pretty laid back about the whole thing. I get frustrated sometimes on the nights he wont go to sleep and I am stuck on the sofa feeding all night, but I also love those close, quiet moments when I get to kiss him on the head and hold him extra tight!

I have to admit I really do love breast feeding (except the biting which happens now and again). And wont be stopping any time soon (Sorry Dave!)

I am also lucky in that I have never had any negative comments from anyone while feeding in public, which I continue to do (even though Irv is getting quite big!) I can't understand why people find it offensive. It is truly beyond my comprehension!



No comments: